Thursday, October 14, 2010

Forgot to Share…

So with all of the fun things that we were doing over the summer; I forgot to share some pretty important medical information regarding Prince William with all of you.

Are you sitting down?

 

Prepare yourself…

 

Are you ready?

 

Deep Breathes…

 

Drum Roll Please……..

 

Our Prince is feeding tube free!!  It is gone, it is healed, it is super! 

William had his g-tube removed on June 11, almost 3 years to the day of having it put in.  He is doing well with his eating but we still have to give him two supplements a day to make sure he is getting all of his calories, vitamins etc.  His supplements are carnation instant breakfast mixed in his soy milk, twice a day.   He lost a pound after having it removed but has since gained it back.  He  is growing taller too!

People who we have told above having the tube removed are always curious about how they did it, so I will share…

The doctor took the mic-key button out by taking the water out of the balloon that kept it in place in his belly.  Doing this left a hole in his belly, so the doctor put gauze over it and taped it up (about 3pm).  We tried to avoid eating or drinking for a few hours because, well, it just came out.  I know, gross.  By the next morning, I took the gauze off and the hole was closed.  Just like that!  Easy as pie!!

To be honest, I was a nervous wreck before the doctor took it out, second guessing whether or not he could do without it.  But I am so happy that it is gone.  And honestly, if someone would have told me that William would not have his tube a year ago, I would have laughed in their face, he was just not eating well by mouth.  Boy, what a difference a year makes!!

Now, don’t get me wrong…William still has some difficulties with eating.  For example, he likes what he likes and will only eat what he likes!  So we have pizza, a lot.  He isn’t a fan of the vegetable variety and he isn’t a real meat eater either, because I am sure that hot dogs don’t really count as a meat. Ahem.  But what we have found that works is dipping sauces!  If it can be dipped in something, chances are he will try it!!  So we go through a lot, a lot of ketchup and ranch dressing!  And yes, he will dip green beans in ketchup, eeewww!!

So there you have it…the Prince is tube free!  Woo Hoo!!

funnyface

7 comments:

Lora said...

Oh Myssie! I am so so happy to hear this! Yay for William, and for his eating progress. *smiling*

Angelica mom to JesusRTS said...

YAY!!! This is great news!!! it must be such a great feeling not having to clean any more tubes=) I'm so happy for you all!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

That is the best news ever.
So happy for you both.. Noah is the pickiest eater I've ever known.. Maybe I should try ketchup..

Cindy said...

That is fabulous...so he didn't have a tube at the RTS conference? Maybe I did notice and forgot. I know he will keep improving with his eating!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic! This is great news indeed! Viktor's not doing as well. He's 3 weeks into healing from a split palate surgery. And now he won't eat, and keeps vomiting. He lost allot of weight, and if this continues he might have to be tube fed... I am scared of it! Reading your story helps me get through it a little easier... Thank you. :)

Tarah Peacock said...

Wahoo! Best news ever!

Christine said...

OH MY GOODNESS MYSSIE!!! THAT IS HUGE NEWS!!! CONGRATS!!!!
I am thrilled to hear our news. I really must get back to blogging. Miss you.