Monday, March 3, 2008

Reflections from the weekend

This weekend gave Josh and I much hope and eased our minds about Will's future. My biggest fear for Will is that he will not be able to speak. I know now that even though he may never speak, he will be able to communicate with us. Some of the kids were talking with no problems, others used signing and gestures and others used talking devises. Whatever the means, they were all able to communicate their needs. I don't care how Will communicates, I just want him to be able to tell me what he wants, what he needs, if something hurts or if someone was mean to him. I want to hear him say "I love you Mommy" but if I hear it come from a talking devise or if he uses sign language to tell me, I am cool with that.

All of the kids at the reunion were happy and healthy. That is all that really matters, right?

All the kids love life. They love everything about it and they also love everyone in their lives. Most of these children meet no strangers, they open their hearts to everyone that they meet. We could all learn so much from them.

I feel as though I have met folks that are my family. These parents totally get what it means to be raising a special needs child, there was no explination needed. They already know. I am already looking forward to next year. I can't wait to see everyone again and to see how big all of the kids have gotten.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Thanks for sharing all the pictures! We're going to the NE Reunion the beginning of April! It'll be our 2nd time but we havn't been in 3 years!

Cindy said...

So ironic that I posted on speech today on our blog! That's one of our uncertainties too, but we know Natalie will be happy because she is happy now! Thanks so much for sharing the pictures. I wish we could have been there, but it's great to see the kids we read about all the time on the listserve (and see pics on My Family).